Sunday, July 26, 2009

Skillet Lasagna

We tried this recipe tonight and it was so tasty. I found it on My Kitchen Cafe. A couple of notes I want to remember are: with regular lasagna noodles I should add one tomato sauce can full of water when I add the sauce. If I use whole wheat noodles, I think I should add an extra can of tomatoes.

Simple and Meaty Skillet Lasagna
adapted from The Best Skillet Recipes

3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 medium onion, minced
Salt
3 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (these do not add spice - just flavor!)
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 pound Italian seasoned ground turkey
12 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 1 inch lengths
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup ricotta cheese (do not use fat-free)

Pulse the tomatoes with their juice in a blender or food processor until they are coarsely ground and no large pieces remain (in a food processor, that is about 12 pulses0.

Add the onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and turkey and cook, breaking apart the meat, until it is lightly browned and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.

Scatter the broken lasagna noodles over the meat and then pour in the ground tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta. Stir in the basil and oregano. Cover, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring often and adjusting the heat to maintain a vigorous simmer, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

Off the heat, stir in half the mozzarella and half of the parmesan. Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles, then sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Cover and let stand off the heat until the cheese melts, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment