Saturday, March 3, 2012

Taco Bowls



This is another Pinterest success.  It has all the elements of a successful recipe in my book.
  1. It's all stuff I tend to have on hand.
  2. South of the Border flavors
  3. Crock pot
These were so yummy.  Even Hannah asked for more.  I added half a jalapeno, and I'm glad I did.  It had some zip without being hot. Obviously it wasn't hot...Hannah liked it.

Next time I will add another can of beans (You could use all beans and make it meatless).   I think this would make awesome lunch leftovers.  Some seriously good thermos material for Lizzie and Sarah. The recipe is from BudgetBytes. 

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16 oz (2 cups) salsa-I used 5 minute salsa with wonderful results
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
cracked pepper to taste
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro

Put everything except the cheese and cilantro into the crock-pot. Stir it around to coat the chicken with the yumminess.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Shortly before serving take out the chicken and shred it. Put it back into the crock pot for a few minutes to soak up more of the flavors. Serve over warm rice and top with cheese and cilantro.  We also did Greek yogurt, and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment