My cousin, Courtnie, made these light, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies for Amira's christening. They taste so good! Let me say that there is absolutely nothing healthy about these little numbers. But then, I have never had a yummy AND healthy sugar cookie. Anyway, if you are looking for some natural, healthy thing you'll have to look elsewhere.
**The dough needs to be refrigerated for several hours, preferably overnight.
Cookies
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c shortening (butter flavor is best)
1 c sour cream
4 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
Cream the sugar, shortening and eggs for several minutes. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add flour, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder and mix for several minutes to get it all well incorporated. Chill in covered bowl over night.
Roll out about 1/4 inch thick. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat liner. This is an important trick so they don't get crispy at all.
Bake at 350 degrees for anywhere from 7-10 min. You want the edges to be slightly golden so they can lift off the tray. I baked mine for 9 minutes and they never got golden, but came off the tray beautifully.
Frosting
1/2 Shortening ( I used regular white)
1/2 c margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla
5 c powdered sugar
3 T milk ( maybe a bit more but you want frosting to be firm not too runny)
Cream shortening and margarine together until really creamy. Add vanilla and mix in powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time. Mix thoroughly after each addition to get rid of the powder texture. When all sugar is added, whip until fluffy, adding milk a little at a time. I added quite a bit more milk to make it creamier. This makes a TON of frosting. I will make less next time.
One batch makes about 3 dozen med sized cookies. I made small cookies and got about 60 cookies.
No comments:
Post a Comment