Friday, January 7, 2011

Banana Bread

I have tried all kinds of fancy banana breads, and I still end up coming back to this basic recipe.  I've tweaked it along the way to make it more healthy, and to cut out the dairy.  I originally got it from the old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

1 c. unbleached flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 c. mashed, very ripe bananas (2-3 medium bananas)
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp. plain soy milk or plain almond milk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add mashed banana, applesauce and milk.  Beat with mixer at low speed until blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes.  Add eggs and remaining flour and beat until blended.  Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove from the pan and cool thoroughly on wire rack.  It's best if you wrap and store it overnight, but we never make it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment