I received The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone, for Christmas. This recipe for granola is so yummy, easy and a lot cheaper than buying granola at the store-plus...I know what's in it. I made a couple of substitutions but followed the recipe pretty closely. This makes 2 quarts of granola that can be stored in an airtight container for weeks:)
6 cups quick cooling oats
1/2 cup maple sugar-I used brown sugar
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds or raw sunflower seeds- I used sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped nuts or raisins-I used sliced almonds
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350
Spread the oats on a rimmed pan (I used my jellyroll pan), and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the oats to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar wheat germ, coconut, seeds and nuts or raisins. Stir to mix well, then add the oil, syrup and vanilla. Mix well until everything is moistened.
Spread half of the mixture on each of two rimmed baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes so it can brown evenly.
Let the granola cool on the pans, then transfer to a bowl and stir until crumbly. Store in an airtight container.
No comments:
Post a Comment