- Once again, I got fantastic peaches at Allred's on University Ave. I paid $18/box for Lemon Elbertas. They open at 10:00 am and weekdays are much less busy.
- I tried the larger peaches-hence the $18/box. I did this in the hope of less peeling. This was true, PLUS the peaches had tiny pits, so more peach per peach. I really feel like I got my money's worth hassle-wise and value-wise.
- I got three boxes and was able to get 35 quarts. I probably could have done more, but we ate a lot too.
- I really like the extra-light syrup from the Ball's Blue Book of Canning. It took 11 cups of water and 2 1/2 cups sugar. This made a little more than enough syrup for 1 batch (7 quarts).
- I tried 1 tsp. lemon juice per jar and 2 tsp. per jar. One tsp. is enough to keep their color.
- I can get quite a bit more into the wide-mouth jars.
- I borrowed a canner and processed two batches at a time on the camp chef. This saved TONS of time. I just have to be sure we have a full tank of propane.
Monday, September 20, 2010
Peach Notes
I just wanted to remember a few things for next year:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment