This makes me feel a little better about splurging on a rotisserie chicken every now and then. This stock is awesome!
5-6 quarts water
1 rotisserie chicken with meat removed
3 carrots (or 2 handfuls of baby carrots)
3 celery stalks, leaves included
1 large onion, quartered
1 Tb salt
1 tsp black pepper
celery salt, optional
garlic powder, optional
onion powder, optional
Place chicken in large stock pot. Make sure you include everything... bones, skin, juices from container, etc. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Fill stock pot with water about 3/4 full. (Usually about 5-6 quarts) Add salt and pepper and other seasonings if you desire. (If I'm a little short on veggies I will definitely add the extra seasonings. Even when I have plenty of veggies often I will add them anyway - it only makes it more flavorful.) Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Strain broth through a colander and discard veggies and bones, etc. Allow broth to cool and refrigerate or freeze for future use. (I usually don't have a significant amount of fat on the top but if you do, go ahead and skim it off if you like.)
No comments:
Post a Comment